Unfortunately, I am the kiss of death when it comes to plants. They take one look at me and whither away at the very thought of me over loving them. So I get fresh flowers, as often as possible, as cheaply as possible. I’m no Elton John with his extravagant daily fresh flowers, and I’m certain Elton John is not hitting up his local Trader Joe’s for a budget bouquet. But fresh flowers liven up a room, and they bring nature in without the pleadings of daily maintenance. Some people fret too much when arranging flowers. They use floral foam, tape, and wire. I prefer a more wild, unfussy look and I have many tricks for easy and elegant floral arrangements.
- Buy your flowers at the farmer’s market, a flower district (every major city has one) or even the grocery store.
- When choosing flowers, pick within the same color range. Pinks with reds and fuschias, yellows with oranges and corals. It takes the guessing out of arranging and you never have to worry about clashing. Never buy anything that’s been dyed because it looks unnatural and strange (I’m looking at you, blue roses).
- You don’t necessarily have to buy the same flowers in one arrangement, but if you’re nervous don’t mix and match. I loathe the “garden bouquet” at grocery stores. The flowers all die at different times and then you’re stuck with some baby’s breath or some random stems of a fern.
- Now for my favorite arranging secret… Before trimming, hold all the flowers like a hand bouquet. Move things around where’d you like and even play with heights. Measure your vessel, see where you’d like the flowers to crest and then trim the bottom stems all at the same time. Don’t even bother trimming them one by one, it’s just too time consuming. Also, make sure that no leaves are touching the water, it accelerates the rotting.
- Don’t limit yourself to just vases. Use mugs, tea tins, milk bottles, tea pots, or any other water tight vessels.
Seeing fresh flowers in my home really brightens my day. They can beautifully scent the air, bring out your home’s accessories, or simply make you feel like Elton John. What more could a girl want?